William Marks began his career with the Kentucky State Police in June of 1985. After graduating from the State Police Academy in November of 1985, he was stationed at the Henderson Post where he was assigned to Union County. In January of 1987, he transferred to the Madisonville Post where he was assigned to Hopkins County.
Throughout his career he has had numerous assignments within the agency:
- November 1999, promoted to sergeant, assigned to the Henderson Post
- September 2001, promoted to lieutenant and transferred to the Mayfield Post as the investigative lieutenant
- June 2002, transferred to the Madisonville Post as the investigative lieutenant
- June 2006, promoted to captain and was assigned to the Inspections and Evaluations Branch in Frankfort
- August 2006, assigned to the Mayfield Post as commander
February 2008, assigned as the commander of the Madisonville Post
Prior to joining the KSP, William Marks was in the United States Army stationed at Fort Benning, GA where he was a military policeman. He graduated from Madisonville North Hopkins High School in 1979. He currently resides in Madisonville. After retiring, he plans to pursue a career as a realtor with Heritage Homes Real Estate in Madisonville.